Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Making your life easier...

Since I am a super, extremely nice person, I am going to make it SUPER convenient for you wonderful people (all 4 of you) to read my blog. Now, I'm not talking about having it downloaded into your brain, or me printing it out and reading to you - NO, I'm talking about an RSS Reader. (If you are already viewing this blog through an RSS feed, then I apologize: this post is old news to you)

An RSS (Really Simple Syndication) Reader is basically a tool that can compile blogs, news headlines, or any internet page that gets updated (and chooses to have an RSS Feed). Instead of going to the actual page of
the blog, the entry is simply fed into your own little RSS "homepage" so you can read all your favorite (ie ME) blogs in one place.

The first step in doing this is to get a Google Account. There are others, but this is the one I use and personally endorse. If Google was a person you would hate him/her because it is everything you want to be, but have no chance in hell of ever being. I would say sign up for G-Mail, if you haven't already. I know you have an e-mail address already, but G-Mail is the future so get with the cool kids.

Okay, so now that you've signed up for a G-Mail account, you have the option of using Google's other wonderful features. I can go more into those later, but all we care about right now is the RSS Reader.


Now, since you're reading this at my site (and using Firefox)(which is WAY better than Internet Explorer) you should see a little picture of an orange square
on the RIGHT side of the address bar. This is a button that signifies the page has an RSS feed. Simply CLICK that Orange RSS Button, and you are brought to a page which allows you to choose between "Add to Google Homepage" or "Add to Google Reader". Add it to Google Reader (which is my preferred usage) and BAM you are SET.

It's THAT simple. So when you decide to check your G-Mail, use the link at the top of the page that says "More" and then click "Reader" which takes you to your RSS page, and find out if I posted a new blog (I probably didn't, but hey, you never know!). You can also just as easily go to www.google.com/reader if you don't feel like checking your G-Mail.

The Google RSS Reader is my gift to you (I'm re-gifting it from Google) on this day, February 20, 2008. You are welcome.

Reason Number 9 Why I Will Never Be A Famous Writer:
Google will probably take over the world and banish me to Antarctica. I will end up writing for Penguin Monthly, but the salary will be too low, and I won't be able to afford the proper warm clothing. I will freeze to death.

No comments: