Wednesday, January 23, 2008

An Egg Dressed in Egg-Sized Hipster Clothes

I watched Juno last night, and I have to say that I liked it. I really didn't want to like it. I tried quite hard not to like it. There are some obvious flaws, and annoying things that keep it from being a great film, but it is good nonetheless.

The story is what makes it worth watching. That is true with most good movies. If you take away all the flash and grandeur, there is nothing but the story - and that is what keeps us watching. With Juno the "flash and grandeur" is replaced by "quirk and indie-rock self-awareness". While that combination may be really annoying to some people, if you can get past it there is a story that shines through. It's like if you were to dress up a gestating chicken's egg in a really unnecessary American Apparel outfit made for eggs - if you get rid of the outfit, there is an undeniable force working underneath making it more than just a too-hip egg. It made sense when I read it the first time...

While Juno's strength comes from its story, the muscles are really worked out by Ellen Page (as the title character). In my opinion, the writing actually hindered her in some instances, which makes her performance even more special.

During the first third of the film her dialog was just flat out annoying. It was so not how ANYONE talks. (Sidenote: I wish Rainn Wilson would have taken himself out of the film. He was possibly the most annoying, cashing-in-on-"clever"-dialog character I have ever seen. It didn't even look like he cared that he sucked). Juno and her friend were just too unrealistic to be in the same scenes. To put it plainly, it sounded like their lines had been worked and re-worked, and thought about for too long. However, miraculously, as the story picked up it was easier to get past the "quirky" writing, and focus on the story of pregnant 16 year-old preparing to give her child up for adoption. She picks up a lot about life and love along the way, and the film navigates its way through a few turns that end up feeling completely complete.

It may not have a chance at winning the Best Picture Oscar, but it was an interesting story that came out the right way. Sadly, that's hard to find in most of what Hollywood puts out these days.

3 comments:

Mikey Filmmaker said...

I do know one person that talks like the characters in Juno. It's this kid that goes to Chapman. I think his name is Dres. And yes, he's a bitch baby.

Paul said...

I loved Juno. I thought she did an excellent job carrying the movie, and the supporting cast did a good job as well (I mean, how can you go wrong with Michael Cera?).

What I hated was the forced plot point near the end. Yes, I saw that the movie needed something to break it apart and pull it back together, but I never saw any emotion from either character (if you've seen it you know what I mean) to make me think it would ever lead to that event.

Like I said, it was really forced, and completely unrealistic.

Other than that, I loved it. Although I don't know why it's getting all these Oscar nods, seeing as how I also loved 10 Things I Hate About You in the same way. But whatever, I've always thought Hollywood awards were stupid.

Nobody Famous said...

Paul, you're completely right about the forced plot point. I liked that Juno realized her mistake of being a bitch to Bleeker (Cera), but her being truly "in love" with him is a stretch.

I really like the father and the step-mother characters. They were both strong.

I love how you compare it to 10 Things I Hate About You. You're right. How is this film really that much different then any other teen comedy? Because people tell us its better. End of story? That's another post altogether.