Thursday, January 24, 2008

What's in a Name?

A co-worker of mine just dropped by my desk to show me a letter he was mailing out. The addressee? Dick Bigger. Now, I'm told this man is upwards of 65 years-old, and you know, he probably went by Richard as a child, but COME ON! That is gutsy. The man has to know this, unless he lives on a different planet.

Well, names like that get you thinking about all the "interesting" names you've encountered throughout your life. The one that sticks out the most for me is a guy from high school named "Chevy Boob". Scout's honor. My co-worker knew a guy in college named "Nimrod Whistlehunt", and his dad used to tell him stories about a girl named "Velvet Bush". Working at a pediatrician's office in high school I came across the likes of "Treasure" and "Mara Jade" (the latter is pulled from a Star Wars novel). And we've all comes across the names "Apple" or "Kal-El" in the celebrity news section - plus, the entire Phoenix family (actually, those ones are more tasteful, in my opinion).

I wonder what is going on in people's heads when they choose these crazy names for their kids. Don't they have enough common sense to realize that "Velvet" shouldn't go with "Bush"? I guess we can't really do anything about unfortunate last names (Boob), but we can make an effort to weed out "Chevy" and "Mara Jade".

Actually, who cares? Chad Smithsonian is going to find a way to make fun of your kid without your help. Name them whatever you want.

Reason Number 45 That I Will Never Be A Famous Writer:
My characters never have unique names.

2 comments:

Luebbert said...

I worked in a law office for 6 years. My favorite names I came accross...

Robyn Hood
Justin Case

Amazing. Real names.

Anonymous said...

I Definitely remember you talking about Chevy Boob at the dinner table. poor guy. It's unfortunate that...Cora Evette, was it? Didn't really exist (atleast to our knowledge). So, mom just sent me the link to your blog, and I figured I would let you know that no matter what, you will always be a famous writer to me. Whenever I read your blogs I'm very interested. Now, maybe that's because I'm your sister and we have the same personality traits, but other than that I'm definitely not paid to say these things. You've got an interesting take on things. I only wish I was as witty as you all of the time. Saddly, I'm only that witty when provoked. A lot.
-Caitlin Jo